Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Three Tips for Researching Your Novel



Last spring when my writing bud Nicole O’Dell asked me if I wanted to be part of a novella collection with her, my initial reaction was “of course!” Nicole is so prolific and accomplished I couldn’t imagine not writing with her. And if it also meant I could help a Valerie Comer, a debut author, get her first contract, then my enthusiasm for the project only went up.

Then they told me the topic for Rainbow's End.

Geo-caching? It sounds fun, but I’ve never tried it. Never been to the Ozarks either.

Still, I wanted to be part, so I put on my research hat. Here are some tips to help you when you find yourself in a similar position.

1) If you can't go to the location, talk to people who have been where your book is set. As God would have it work out, my sister and brother-in-law were on their way to Branson. Being the great folks that they are, they took a detour through Lake of the Ozarks just to let me know what the town was like. That’s how I learned about the turtle ice cream shop and the outlet mall that became pieces of my novella.

2) Hit the Internet.  While it's never the only stop for me, there is a wealth of information to discover. For example, find maps, information from chambers of commerce, etc. online. Also look up the websites of local businesses you want to reference. It'll give you a great starting point to build on. 

3) Utilize social networks. I know the theory of the geo-caching, but haven’t participated yet. I asked folks on Facebook if they’d gone. I talked to a friend who enjoys the hunt with his kids and made plans to participate at some time. Each of those details gave me a better idea what someone participating in a hunt like Rainbow’s End would experience and how to write the scenes. For A Wedding Transpires on Mackinac Island, I asked for help naming businesses and got FANTASTIC ideas from online friends. 

By the time I finished writing Love’s Prize, one of the novellas in Rainbow's End, I wanted to pack my bag and head to the Ozarks for some geo-caching. My prayer is that readers will feel the same way…like you’ve managed to sneak a short vacation within the pages of our stories.




Cara C. Putman lives in Indiana with her husband and four children. She’s an attorney and a teacher at her church as well as lecturer at Purdue. She has loved reading and writing from a young age and now realizes it was all training for writing books. She loves bringing history and romance to life. Learn more about her books at Http://www.caraputman.com
 

4 comments:

  1. My son-in-law enjoys geo-caching, but I kept forgetting what it was. I had to look it up on the Internet several times before the description soaked into my brain.

    For any readers who don't know, geo-caching is like a scavenger hunt using GPS waypoints to find interesting places/information. I haven't done it yet myself, but maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminders, Cara.

    As for geo-caching,it sounds as if it'd be so much fun. I'd like to do that sometime in the northwestern rain forest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep a folder of bookmarks specifically for research. Cara, didn't you give us a handout at The Carpenter's Son for writers and faq finding?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great concepts.

    I'm thinking of two stories where I have settings I'll need to research. One of the two areas (Toccoa/Helen, Georgia) is where my wife and I do some traveling to, so that would come in handy. The other town (Jerome, Arizona) is not as convenient. I spent my high school years ten miles away from that town, but that's a place I'll need more networking and internet searching.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete