Thursday, April 4, 2013

"Hey, how did I get here?"

Lost in a story...
Recently a friend shared a funny incident. Her son Josh had been reading. Scratch that--her son Josh had been totally absorbed by the novel on his lap. Although she told him several times to come to the table for supper, Josh couldn't hear. His mind was submerged in a fictional world about another time, another place. As a last resort, this mom took her son by the shoulders and--while he was still reading--guided him to the kitchen table and eased him onto his chair. Moments later, when the aroma of a delicious meal wafted up from his plate, he glanced around in astonishment.

"Hey, how did I get here?"

I didn't ask which book Josh was reading that day. As a writer, though, I applauded the author who crafted a captivating tale so successfully it gripped the boy's mind and held him even while his physical body was maneuvered from a living room sofa to the kitchen table.

Have you ever experienced something similar? I have. When I drive long distances, I like to listen to books on CDs. (If you haven't discovered these in your local library, you really need to check them out--literally.) As least twice, I have been driving along an interstate highway and listening to suspenseful stories until--unexpectedly--I blinked and thought, "Huh? Where am I?" In both cases, I had missed my exit a couple miles earlier and had to backtrack.

Such is the power of a well-written tale. Of course, not all stories hold such ability. Some authors insist on flaunting their vast vocabularies and frequently use obscure words that knock the reader out of the story with the question, "What's that word mean?" Other authors include scenes or events that come across as so incredibly coincidental, or so unlikely, that they puncture the very fabric of the story and let all the believability escape.

Although, by God's grace, I've successfully sold over two hundred short stories and articles, plus a couple novels, I'm still learning and growing as a writer. I'm not yet where I would like to be on this  journey. However, authors who are true craftsmen at this trade inspire me. Who knows? Maybe someday readers will engage with my stories so intensely that they will suddenly look around and wonder, "Hey, how did I get here?"

5 comments:

  1. Excellent encouragement, Rick, though you also gave an excellent reason not to check out CD books while driving. I've never missed an exit when I'm listening to music!

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love it when that happens -- and it's rare that it does happen. And that's disappointing for me. I'm a difficult consumer. The book has to be simply spell-binding for me to get lost in it. I have always tended more toward nonfiction until I started writing fiction and now I'm learning not only how to write it but how to enjoy it. And I've hardly ever been a romance novel consumer, and yet, I'm learning how difficult that is to write (not that I consider myself a romance author, but have romance scenes in my books).

    Oh, how I DREAM of writing in a way that sweeps my readers in and makes them emotionally involved. It's the ultimate goal of us all, isn't it? Thanks for this inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad not every story can be so captivating. Of course, all readers are different. What one person loves may not touch another reader at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find listening to podcasts before bed do wonders for my dreams and I find that I am more relaxed and readily able to listen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to read, especially those stories I can't put down, which is why I do housework and paperwork to books on CD. However these can be just as captivating and hard to stop. My husband and I always bring audio books when we vacation. It passes the long drive times and gives us extra conversation fodder around the campfire. Isn't fiction wonderful?

    ReplyDelete