By Darren Kehrer
- Wake up
- Get the family off to their day
- Be at work by 8am
- Get home by 5pm
- Feed the family, pay bills, help with homework, watch the news, spend quality time with family or spouse.
- Try to get into bed by 11pm
- Repeat steps 1-6 tomorrow
My week day life revolves around family and my primary work responsibilities. There just isn't enough time to write during the week. Given that fact, I've had to come up with some ideas to at least keep the ideas flowing, but more importantly, to keep my ideas recorded for later usage.
Here are a couple ideas for you, should you also find your writing life only on the weekends.
- Use your SMART phone
- Most phones have the ability to record verbal notes. I use that many times while I'm driving and need to record an idea on the fly
- Most phones have great built-in note taking apps. I keep a list of plot ideas, character names, story beginning ideas, and story endings.
- There are many writing apps available to help you categorize, record, and transfer your thoughts on story ideas into a useful format for later usage.
Lastly, and possibly the most important, don't give up. Just keep writing. As long as you don't stop writing, there will always be the possibility of getting your work published. You can't edit something that doesn't exist; therefore, keep the words flowing...even if only on the weekends.