Sunday, September 4, 2011

iPod as Teacher, Mentor, and Friend

In one of our past ACFW Indiana Chapter meetings, our guest speaker was Dr. Dennis Hensley. It was a GREAT meeting full of insights and lessons on how to create an awesome story. Reflecting back, however, I still can't believe Dr. Hensley didn't ask why UPS delivered a treadmill to the meeting room right before we ate dinner. In fact, he didn't even give me a second look as I got on the treadmill after the meal to work out why we listened to his awesome keynote address. No speaker has ever complained about me fast-walking around the room during one of their lectures either. Consequently, no one has ever noticed my exercise equipment at any of the past ACFW national meetings. Odd? Maybe, or maybe not...


Well, you might be thinking, "I don't remember seeing him do that" or, "He can't be serious." But, I was there, doing just what I said...only "attending" at a much later time than the original event. 


As you might have guessed by now, I was listening to these events on my iPod while performing other activities in the here an now. I purchased the last several years of ACFW conferences on CD or flash drive, imported them into iTunes (available for either Mac or PC), and then selectively transferred them to my iPod for listening, learning, and absorbing the information while walking on the treadmill, walking at the park, or just lounging around the house (yes I do lounge from time to time).


I also listen to podcasts of episodes from "In the Market with Janet Parshall," "Midday Connection," and many of the available ACFW conference courses that have been available to members.  Midday Connection does a podcast every year about the "Write to Publish" conference. Janet Parshall also interviews Christian authors on regular intervals.  Chris Fabry has some good podcasts as well. And, in case you didn't know, the ACFW classes are available in various media formats.


Just with the sources I mentioned above, I have plenty of material to listen to.  It's like travelling back in time to listen to everything while still being able to get something else done while attending that event.


It's really a great benefit of modern technology that you can make these types of events "portable" to learn (and listen) on the go.  If you find yourself short on time, or always busy, I encourage you to invest in an iPod (any version) and make use of this technology to improve your writing. Turn your jogging course at the park into a writing course.  iPods are available starting at $49.00. For those of you with iPhones, this feature is also available to you.


3 comments:

  1. How did you get last year's conference on your iPod? I bought the complete set of CDs but can't get them to transfer. Any tips? I love listening to teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to import the cd into iTunes, then depending on your iPod, either sync all music or selective. iTunes looks at any cd as music. Podcasts, however, are still considered podcasts in iTunes.

    ReplyDelete