Sunday, May 18, 2014

Destination: Deep POV

Perhaps it was because I was thinking of this month’s blog or perhaps it’s simply because I love a good pirate story, I decided I needed to watch two pirate movies (The Spanish Main and The Black Swan) and a documentary on pirates on the History Channel this past week.
© Andrey Armyagov - Fotolia.com
I did learn something new. I never understood why Edward Teach, aka Blackbeard, named his ship Queen Anne’s Revenge and now I do. You see it was out of the Queen Anne’s War that pirates were born. One day more than 20,000 English men were making an “honest” living taking down Spanish and French ships with the approval of the Crown, the next day they’re outlaws for doing the exact same thing. So now it makes sense.
And I hope Deep POV is starting to make sense for all of us, as well. To sum up, in my words,: Deep POV is a complete immersion into a character’s mind – a limitation that affords the reader to see and hear (along with the other senses) only that character’s thoughts and impressions for a designated period of time. Let’s see how my last revision holds up to that definition.

Amara gasped and jumped, releasing the soap in her hands into the water. It  bobbed lightly as it floated on the quick current down stream. She studied the attractive young man as he attempted to run in the knee deep water to retrieve the floating bar. He dressed like a man of means and bore an almost noble disposition. Longer light brown hair peeked out from under his large brimmed hat, and he was not of slight stature to say the least. One corner of his mouth tugged constantly, as if laughing at an unspoken joke. He finally obtained his prize and strutted back over to her. His strong jaw line, narrow nose and piercing eyes stayed her breath. They may not be green with envy, but I’d say they are dark green with mischief. Is that even a saying?
“Your soap, fair maiden.”
“Who are you? Where do you come from? Why are you here?” Amara asked, snatching the soap from his hand. She felt heat in her cheeks from his heavy gaze.
“So inquisitive. My name is Thaddeus Reed, but those who love me call me Thad,” he said with a dramatic bow. Then looking back up at her, revealing near perfect teeth, he added, “And what’s your name?”
“Amara Sm… Amara is all you need know for now. You did answer my other questions, Mister Reed.” She rubbed the soap against shirt she had already cleaned, looking away from his disconcerting stare. “I have lived in this region my whole life and have never met anyone quite like you. You do not belong here. Tell me why you are here or I will leave right now,” she finished with her hands on her hips, soap and all.
At that Thaddeus crossed his arms over his chest and placed his pointing finger over pursed lips. He dropped his hand and replied, “So if you leave, what’s to stop me from following you?”
“You wouldn’t dare,” Amara said, her heart firmly in her throat until she saw the smile that flashed in his eyes.
Thaddeus removed his hat and distance between them, then speaking in an intimate voice said, “Well, you see where I come from and why I’m here is a secret.  I could tell you, it’s true, but then I would have to snatch you away and you would have to stay with me forever.”
“Oh.” Amara’s skin tingled as she watched him walk around her.
“Can I trust you, Amara? Trust you with my life?” She nodded.
“I cannot tell you my mission, but I can tell you I’m sailor on the Searching who has traversed the great Black Sea to get here.”
“The Black Sea?” Amara echoed.
“Yes, it’s due east of here on the other side of the highest point.” He lifted his chin toward the snow-capped mountains that lay far beyond Amara’s small home in the hills. “That is all I can say, for now.” She looked where he indicated then closed her eyes trying to imagine black water. She opened them to see him once again looking at her, all of her.
“Even the mysterious strangers in my dreams tell me more than that!” she snapped. Thad’s laugh was full and rich, so much so she wanted to laugh with him.
“Do they now? I must remember that the next time I wander into a young girl’s dream.”

Thank you again for letting me practice Deep POV in front of you. I hope you don’t feel my bumbling has been too much of a waste of time. While I appreciate writers like Jill Elizabeth Nelson for their insight and believe books like hers are a good starting place, I think practice will prove the best teacher in mastering this intriguing skill. And I get the impression she would agree.
I pray God’s guidance for you and your writing journey as you explore, and perfect, Deep POV in your own stories. Until next month, may the Author and Finisher of our faith rule and reign in our hearts and the stories of our lives lived out each day.

H.T. Lord



No comments:

Post a Comment