Sunday, September 21, 2014

A few of my favorite things… about writing


I thought I wind down 2014 by talking about four of my favorite things about writing:

1.       Closeness
2.       Freedom
3.       Research
      4.       Sharing

My absolute, number one, most favorite thing about writing is how close it brings me to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. It sounds strange but in a way, writing is an act of worship for me. There are times when it almost feels like He’s sitting beside me, and in those times my writing shows it.

Being creative with THE Creator is mind blowing, isn’t it? And the idea that He also wants to be creative with me is almost too much to take in. But the fact remains that God did not withhold even His son to make a way for us to have a relationship. Don’t even think He hasn’t done that for you, too, because He has. He has given the gift of Himself to all of us, all of us who will turn away from sin and receive Him instead.

So, yeah, writing is one of the ways I connect with God. No matter how I try, I cannot separate my spiritual journey from my journey as a writer. They are so intricately woven together they can’t be considered two different things.  One feeds off the other and vice versa.

I have around nine or so stories bouncing around in my head at any given time, and half of them were inspired by scripture and/or while I was at church worshipping or listening to a sermon. Of course, my listening pretty much stops until I can find a piece of paper to write down what just popped into my head.

Once I actually caught myself shushing my pastor during service because his incessant talking was interrupting my train of thought.  I know. I’m terrible. But I get so inspired in God’s presence, and if I don’t write it down I forget. Our youngest daughter has autism and I’m constantly shushing her during service so as far as anyone around us was concerned, things were just status quo, unless, of course, they read this blog entry.

The Book of James, chapter 4, verse 8a says, “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.” It is clearly to my advantage, and to future readers of my stories, that I draw near to God when I settle down to write. It is also my preference for I am fully aware that I do nothing very well without Him. But with Him, all things are possible.
Humbly submitted by H.T. Lord
All images are from graphicstock.com

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I've always said, "If God didn't have an imagination, we wouldn't be here!" Maybe one day, you will be able to think your stories into existence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darren, you are awesome! Thanks and God's blessings on your writing adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete