Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Almost Quit Before I Started

This is not my intended blog. I had far greater expectations other than what I’m penning today. However, I feel the Lord is taking me in a different direction, and the blog I meant to post for today can wait until next month. Forgive me, if you think me preachy.

At the beginning of the year, physical problems prompted me to make the decision that I was not going to serve in leadership this year. “Enough is enough,” I told myself. “Dedicate yourself to writing and getting that book published. After all, isn’t that why God has brought you through years of preparation?”

Then, one of the other leadership members came under physical attack also then another. Reality hit hard. I knew I couldn't quit. It was at that point that I taped an Excel spreadsheet to my wall in my office that listed our ACFW Indiana chapter members. I taped it there so I would remember to pray daily for their needs.

The ingredient that most of us as writers put into our manuscripts is prayer. Our major goal is not to entertain although that has to be a huge component of what we do. We want to be instruments to spread the gospel with intricately woven messages that will draw the unbeliever to Christ and also to affirm the Christian in his or her walk.

I'm writing this entry on January 27. Reality hit hard again this week as we have learned that yet another Indiana writer is being attacked physically. This verse came to my mind. “Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs.” Psalm 84:5,6

Please remember to pray for your fellow Hoosier authors. Forgive my boldness, but I’m not asking you to only breathe a prayer (as we all do - nothing wrong with that) or grab God by the shirtsleeve as you’re running the hectic race (better to pray than not). I’m asking those of you who believe that Jesus is the healer (Jehovah Rapha) to put the writer’s pen down, focus in prayer in whatever way works for you, and battle for the physical well being of those we love in Indiana.

I almost quit before I started, but now I know why I didn’t.

Wishing You His Best,
Donna L. Rich ACFW Indiana President



5 comments:

  1. 2010 marks my sixth year as a survivor of breast cancer. My heart goes out to the two who already have suffered, and now to the latest dear one. I know I will be one of many who will commit to pray, and one of many who thank you, Donna, for your sensitivity to God to serve, and for your rallying call to pray. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Donna for the reminder to support one another. Too often we take each other for granted, but I'm reminded of the "three-fold cord is not easily broken" Scripture. It seems there is a principle that our prayers for others have more power than when we spend all of our prayer time on our own problems. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rooting for you, Steph! I know each long year marks another milestone. Thanks for calling me a blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kenny, thanks for reminding me of the three-fold cord. I'd never really looked at it other than how it pertained to marriage, but I see what you mean about that pointing to our involvement in prayer for others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Donna, for calling us to prayer for each other. A ministry far to easy to forget.

    ReplyDelete