Monday, January 11, 2010

Worthy to Write Christian Fiction?

What makes a person worthy to write Christian fiction? As a sinner living in a fallen world, I fail to live up to the standards laid down by the savior; sometimes on a daily and even hourly basis. At times I can’t help but question my worthiness to write Christian fiction. These are the times when I most relate to Paul’s depiction of his own struggle:

I have discovered this principle of life-that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. Romans 7:21 (NLT)

Can you imagine if Paul had stopped there? If he had decided that because of his imperfections he was not worthy to do the Lord’s work? Thank goodness that he responds to his own weakness with these words:

Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 7:24 (NLT)

Isn’t that what our fiction is all about? Proclaiming through story that the grace of Jesus Christ is the only true answer for all the broken characters in this fallen world? I have no doubt that I have the experience to tell that story! What about you?
Lisa Faye Harman

5 comments:

  1. Mercy and Grace - two most beloved words for us. How could we make it without them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romans 12 talks about how we are members of one body and are meant to be vibrant contributors to its welfare. I didn't think about it until I read your post, Lisa, but what we are as writers are hands tapping at the keyboard--or perhaps mouths telling Story--for the benefit of the body and the glory of God. Or how about Matthew 5--we are salt and light, whose good works (books) bring glory to God. Wow! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - What great thoughts! I think that's what keeps me from loving most non-CBA books I read. It's hard to feel true resolution in the plot without seeing God's grace at work. As Christian writers, we have a unique opportunity to share that grace through our stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The longer I live the better I realize that everything we possess, everything we know, every ability and every opportunity are only ours by the grace of God. I once visited a nursing home and saw a resident about my own age sitting in a chair staring at the wall. When I asked a nurse about him, she replied that he had an adult body, but his mind had never matured. Mentally he was still a baby. Except for God's grace, I could be in such a condition too. Are we worthy to serve God? Nope. But He seems to delight in calling the humble and lowly to glorify His name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, I think grace and mercy are two of the most profound words in the English language.

    Steph, I have never been very musically inclined but your comment made me visualize the sound of the tapping on the keyboard as a type of musical worship. I love that!

    Sarah, you are so right. I recently read an ABA bestseller and was left unsatisfied at the end of the book. It was a thrilling story and well written but it didn't contain the hope that I am looking for in my fiction.

    Rick, that is a beautiful illustration of God's grace.

    ReplyDelete