Saturday, September 10, 2011

Rejoice and Weep

God reminded me of the verse that talks about rejoicing with those who rejoice and weeping with those who weep. He reminded me that I’m not an island. When I look past my life (and consequently, my own writing), I can experience His work in the lives of others.


So how do I rejoice with other writers? I rejoice when a fellow writer lands his first writing contract. I rejoice when another friend finals in a writing contest. I am giddy for a friend who is taking her first steps in becoming a writer (and going to her first writing conference!).


When I open myself up to enjoy the blessings God has brought into the lives of others, I find myself filled with pure and unselfish joy. My heart is light and free of envy or jealousy.


But not everyone is receiving contracts or first place. And so I also weep when those around me are going through difficulties or disappointments. I feel for a friend who did not place in the same writing contest. I weep with another friend as she receives her first rejection. I sympathize with the writer who has been writing for years and years and years and still nothing.


When I weep with those who weep, my heart connects with theirs and I lift them up to God. Their pain brings me to my knees. I believe that by weeping with them, I am helping them carry their burdens.


Rejoicing and weeping with others takes our eyes off our own lives (and writing). We see hope. We enjoy God’s blessings through others. We have an opportunity to comfort those hurting with the same comfort God is gives us.


So this week, let us rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep (Romans 12:15). Especially with our fellow writers.

2 comments:

  1. I have found it also keeps jealousy, envy, and competition away, freeing me to enjoy my own writing as well as the work of others :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great reminder, Morgan! It's so true that rejoicing and weeping with others lifts our eyes to others. I'm going to think about that this week.

    ReplyDelete