Sunday, October 10, 2010

Desperate Writers, Desperate Readers


You and I love a good story.

God has called us to write them.

But you and I are powerless to write even one life-giving word.

We are desperate writers.

Since writing is the work of God may I challenge us to follow the example of Jesus?

Jesus spoke what the Father commanded Him to speak. (John 12:49)

Since it is His work, may I challenge us to listen to the Father as we form, think and write? Could I further challenge us to kneel daily before the Creator whose words called into being more than we can imagine, and confess we are needy?

Jesus did whatever He saw the Father doing. (John 5:19)

I don’t know about you, but when I turn inward my writing turns sour. The best writing comes from engaging in others’ lives. May I challenge us to leave our laptops, watch what the Father is doing around us and join Him in His work?

Jesus laid down His life. (John 15:13)

Today I was interrupted lots of times. First it was frustrating. Then it was frightening. At last it dawned on me: surrender now, write later.

Jesus interceded. (John 17; Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:25; Hebrews 4:15,16)

Readers are desperate, too. They are deceived, confused, discouraged and heartbroken. We don’t know most of our readers and we can’t choose them. But why not ask the Father to make us faithful to write the stories only He can give and prepare readers for them so that in His fullness of time they intersect powerfully?

Jesus, our great high priest who sympathizes with our weakness, lives to make intercession for us at the right hand of God. Let us boldly approach the throne of grace so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

3 comments:

  1. Ranata, your beautiful bullet points found a home with me. I want to make them welcome. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! And definitely what I needed to hear this morning. Great devotional, Renata. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete