Sunday, July 10, 2011

Powerful Hungry

I've just returned from Singapore, gourmand paradise. Tucked between the curries, rices, noodles and dim sum, menus offer head of jellyfish, frog stew, fish head bee hoon, and duck tongues wrapped with baby greens. What's a foodie to do?

For good or for ill, our culture serves a feast of words. They're everywhere and we cannot resist. Printed on a cereal box, posted on billboards or etched in vellum, we eat up the words around us. Choose wisely, and we're satisfied. And we long to step into the kitchen and put our hands to the pots. As we have been fed, we want to nourish readers. Christian writers know both desires—to eat and to feed others--come from God. We dare not ignore the Source.

Why?

It is life.

[All the words I have solemnly declared] are not just idle words for you—they are your life.

Deuteronomy 32:46,47 (NIV)


“The words I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.”

Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.”

John 6:63, 68 (NASB)


It delights.

Your words were found and I ate them,

And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart.

Jeremiah 15:16a


[The judgments] of the LORD are more desirable than gold,

yes, than much fine gold;

Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.

Psalm 19:10 (NASB)


How sweet are Your words to my taste!

Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Psalm 119:103 (NASB)


It satisfies.

He said to me, “Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you.” Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth.

Ezekiel 3:3 (NASB)


I have not departed from the command of His lips,

I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.

Job 23:12 (NASB)


It offers others life.

The lips of the righteous feed many.

Proverbs 10:21a (NASB)


Linger at the Lord’s table. Savor. And pass bread to a hungry world.







3 comments:

  1. Yes! Nothing satisfies like THE WORD. God created this world with WORDS. What a privilege to be involved in a the vocation of WORDS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these verses. Yummy, Renata!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I enjoyed and was refreshed by your blog today (Wed, 7-13), I had an even better time stopping by your wonderful website. WOW -- you have an inspiring testimony, for sure. Family and writing blessings! :-)

    ReplyDelete