Monday, October 14, 2013

Why Do You Write Christian Fiction?

By Darren Kehrer

Simple question. Extensive answer.

Have you ever thought to yourself, "Why do I write Christian Fiction?"

When someone asks you that question, do you always respond the same? Has that answer changed as your writing life (and your Christian Faith) has grown and expanded? As a Christian writer, I would assume your answers may not be motivated by finances, fame, and fortune.

I would wager that most of you answer:
  • I want to tell a story of Faith.
  • I want to write about characters going through struggles.
  • I want people to see Christ in my characters.
This list can probably go on for as many lines as are available on this page. Some of you might even answer, "I want to write to explore Christ in me."

My answer: As a writer of science fiction, "I write to explore the infinite realms of time, eternity, and imagination" with a Christian element mixed in. I truly believe that with God, all things are possible. Let's face it, if God didn't have an imagination, we wouldn't be here!

So, what's your motivation to write Christian Fiction?

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, Darren.

    What got me interested in writing Christian fiction is a desire to communicate a message (in my case with the first novel, a desire to get people excited about apologetics).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My answer always varies depending on the understanding of my questioner. Someone who really wants to know, well, pull up a chair and get comfy. LOL

    ReplyDelete