Saturday, May 12, 2018

Character Sketches


by Jean Kavich Bloom

When I edit a novel, I rarely have character sketches to help guide me—either because few authors build them, at least in any detail, or because I don’t ask for them. Instead I build them myself as I edit, which is, I think, a good idea. That’s how I best spot physical description discrepancies, such as the most common of them all: random eye or hair color changes. Sometimes back stories can take a wrong turn too. Someone’s new single status is the result of divorce, but then we learn they're widowed. 

Obviously, I recommend authors create character sketches, either before they write or as they write, and refer to them when they're editing their own work. But I'm also thinking about them in a new way.

When considering my own stop-and-go efforts at writing fiction in the last several years (and I do love fiction; novels are my favorite editing projects), I’ve concluded that writing character-driven stories would best suit me. Those are the stories I most enjoy reading, and one of my favorite novelists is Anne Tyler, whose quirky characters not only entertain me, but make me think.

Am I now writing, then, a character-driven story? No. I’m not. I’m not even doing research. But I have started developing sketches for characters who speak to me and I think could speak to a reader. They are pretend people who have not yet decided if and how they will interact. but who I think might tell me their story, might already know where we’re destined to go together, and might have an idea how their stories need to be told.

Advice abounds on how to write and the wisdom of writing character sketches (I liked this article), but I haven’t found any pointed recommendation for this type of approach. I just know I feel good about it, and I’ve come to think of that kind of feeling as a green arrow from God: Yes, try that. See what you discover. You might be surprised.

I also think of this approach as one more way to create, to be creative. And if this approach results in my starting to write a character-driven short story or novel anytime soon, I’ll let you know.


Jean Kavich Bloom is a freelance editor and writer for Christian publishers and ministries (Bloom in Words Editorial Services), with more than thirty years of experience in the book publishing world. Her personal blog is Bloom in Words too, where she sometimes posts articles about the writing life. She is also a regular contributor to The Glorious Table, a blog for women of all ages. Her published books are Bible Promises for God's Precious Princess and Bible Promises for God's Treasured Boy. She and her husband, Cal, have three children (plus two who married in) and five grandchildren.

photo credit: https://www.publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=41408&picture=people

No comments:

Post a Comment