Friday, July 27, 2018

Research!


Research—used in connection to writing, I think of historical novels.


That’s because historical fiction usually requires a TON of research. And the novels born out of extensive and meticulous investigation of earlier period are obvious, especially when they are based on easily traced events. 

Accuracy of settings, appropriate attire, authentic transportation, and lastly speech patterns relevant to the era are all essential for framing a well thought out historical novel. I have great respect for those who do it well. More so, when I can connect with a character cast centuries before my time.  


I am perhaps daunted by those requirements. While contemporary settings still require research, first-hand knowledge of the modern society and the various settings making creating a story so much easier. But here’s something I’m learning from the historical crew. Research of places, occupations, even the people of those locales can add breath to a story, even if I am already familiar with them. Here’s why.


Characters come alive, from the details of their daily habits to their foibles and fears when I sit in their occupational shoes and ruminate why they chose that path in the first place. 


Historical facts and local traditions of a region will later evolve into rich details a reader will not only visualize, but presented well it will provide a sense of community, which then becomes a place worth visiting.


Possibly the most overlooked of any century, using local dialect and expressions really do matter. And while we all share universal concerns, how we look at those issues vary greatly. I doubt someone from the eighteenth century used a phrase commonly used now…just saying. And oddly, I have actually read that last part in an historical novel.😖


It might be easier to assume we know enough, but research is an important tool. It may surprise you, but in learning to wield research correctly, you might find it also becomes a teacher. 


Research and keep up the writing!


Penelope grew up in Tennessee, but has lived in various states and a few countries outside the United States. She holds a BS in Business/Political Science and a MS in Multinational Commerce from Boston University. 



After working in the field of banking and finance, she left to invest her time with her children at home, and occasionally worked as a substitute teacher. Today, she resides in Indiana with her family where she serves in her church, and occasionally teaches a Bible study or Precepts.

An avid reader of fiction and perpetual student of Biblical truth, she is pursing the life of a writer. She believes her roots, faith, and her experience with other places and cultures, all meld into the voice that splashes onto the pages of her novels.

A Powerful Voice and A Furrow So Deep are Christian Romances published through Anaiah Press, LLC. And her Christmas novella, My Christmas Hope, will be released November 2018.
To follow Penelope on social media:
Twitter: @penpowell89
 


5 comments:

  1. Penelope, do you research before, after, or during the writing of your novel as far as details? I guess I'm asking if you do further research once you're at the editing stage of your WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before and during for sure. Could see doing more research during content edits if more details are required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you conduct your research? Do you use the Internet mostly or do you travel to the locations and do research onsite?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thus far, everything I've written have either been places near where I was living or where I visited, but I do follow up reasearch through contacts in the area and I reseach via the internet, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for my late reply. I didn't see your question before.

    ReplyDelete