Saturday, January 12, 2019

Writers Nurturing Writers

by Jean Kavich Bloom

My husband and I didn’t plan or push for our children to be writers, yet they are. Apparently we watered the right garden.

Our two sons write professionally. One is a screenwriter and the other is a copywriter, and they’ve both written books. After working for a time in the publishing field, our daughter, who has a master’s degree in comparative literature, is now a dedicated homeschooling mom who teaches her children writing as they move through each grade level.

We nurtured writers without even realizing it. That nurturing doesn’t have to come from family, of course, but our accidental nurturing might demonstrate some ways we can all nurture other writers intentionally, no matter their age or where they are in their writing journey.

Encourage Reading 
My husband and I are daily readers. As I grew up, trips to the library were exciting, and discovering a friend had every single Nancy Drew book for me to borrow was glorious. Oh, how I wanted my children to be readers, too, and they were. They are. Introducing my daughter to my favorite book to this day, Anne of Green Gables, was fun, and today she reads both fiction and nonfiction every chance she gets. Like a lot of boys, my sons read comic books, but they soon moved on, and today some of their heavy-duty reading choices just about put me to shame. Reading words informs their writing words.

How can you inspire aspiring writers to read?

Encourage “Viewing” 
Although our screenwriter son takes first place, we all like movies in our family. The earliest live-action film I can remember my kids adoring was The NeverEnding Story, which hooked them on story forevermore. Story in film is delivered with dialogue as well as image. I’m intrigued by how the dialogue can be honed until it shines and communicates exactly what the filmmakers want for their audiences. And who can’t repeat a favorite line from a favorite movie? Stellar film dialogue can inform stellar dialogue in any writing, and I think the magic of movies nurtured my children’s love of words. Live theater works too!

What films or theater productions with stellar dialogue can you recommend to other writers?

Encourage Discussing 
One day my older son said, “Other families sit around the table and talk about sports or politics. Our family debates word choices.” (This is the same son who now routinely defeats me at Scrabble.) Of course, to the degree our three were interested in other topics, we discussed those, too, but our being a wordy-nerdy family is what struck him as unique. I’m not sure how we got that way, but there we were. Today their vocabularies far exceed mine. Really. They do.

When and where can you discuss the creative process of writing with other writers?

Not every writer comes from a breeding-ground-for-writers family, whether that ground was watered intentionally or not. And families can't take all the credit anyway; God hands out gifts, and their recipients must develop them. But ask yourself, Where has my writing been nurtured by others? In a family of relatives, perhaps before I even realized I had the writing bug? In a family of friends, encouragers, teachers, or mentors? And how did they nurture my writing?

Why ask yourself these questions? Because realizing how our writing has been nurtured can help us know how to intentionally nurture other writers.

Jean Kavich Bloom is a freelance editor and writer for Christian publishers and ministries (Bloom in Words Editorial Services), with more than thirty years of experience in the book publishing world. She is a regular contributor to The Glorious Table, a blog for women of all ages. An aspiring novelist, her published books are Bible Promises for God's Precious Princess and Bible Promises for God's Treasured Boy. She and her husband, Cal, live in central Indiana. They have three children (plus two who married in) and five grandchildren.

photo credit: https://publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=211016&picture=gardeners-pride

No comments:

Post a Comment