Wednesday, March 9, 2022

It's Conference Time, Baby!

 To this day, I still marvel at the uncharacteristic nerve I mustered to attend my very first writers’ conference, nearly three-and-a-half decades ago. In those pre-internet-access-in-every-home days, it must have been the trusty Writers’ Market Guide that alerted me to this opportunity to take a serious step forward despite a quivering stomach and an overwhelming sense that I had no idea what I was doing. But I signed up anyway, applied for a scholarship, and received it!

I drove nearly three hours to an unfamiliar city to attend a gathering of people among whom I would surely know no one, to absorb information about a subject that although dear to me, was an arena in which I’d only begun to dabble. Despite road construction that had me circling a college campus with seemingly no way to get to the set of buildings I needed. I finally arrived in the correct parking lot, a million red flags waving in confirmation that I was in way over my head. But it was too late to back out now.

I will never, ever forget my utter dismay at the warm yet very pointed and blunt greeting that apparently was part of the conference curriculum. “Hi, what do you write?”

No one had ever asked me that. Certainly not perfect strangers. Not even the people who knew me, who were privy to my interest in writing. The three-day adventure overflowed with new, out-of-my-comfort-zone experiences that not only fueled my desire to write but also bolstered my confidence in approaching new endeavors. And 1000% sold me on the value of writers gathering under the same roof to encourage, support, and inspire one another as well as push, prod, and take a firm stand against excuses. Because who but another writer can begin to fathom that burning desire to put words to paper (or screen!) in an order, tone, voice that brings stories and characters and truth to life?


A treasured conference memory from 2013

Many years and conference experiences later find me as “sold” as ever on the value of writers experiencing treasured times of learning and fellowship together. I plan to attend at least one conference this year in person—the first since the summer of 2019. Below, find links and dates for the top three closest contenders. Who knows? Maybe I’ll attend all three!

  • Midwest Writers Workshop -- July 14-16 -- a hybrid event (in person OR virtual)  -- Ball State Alumni Center, Muncie, IN

 

And of course, no discussion about writers' conferences would be complete without mention of the ACFW national conference. I've been blessed to attend this incredible event three times. 

  • ACFW Conference -- September 8-11 -- Hyatt Regency at the Arch -- St. Louis, MO 

Will you do me a favor? If you plan to attend any of these conferences, will you share that in a comment on our ACFW Indiana Chapter Facebook page, on the post promoting this link? Share below as well! Let’s make a deal, all of us, to connect with each other, okay? Explore the possibilities of carpooling, sharing a room, comparing conference workshop selections, seeking that familiar face for the lunch session, or meeting up for dinner. Believe me, personal connections are the icing on an awesome conference cake! Just writing about this has my mind kicking into planning gear . . . 

Beth’s combined experiences teaching the high school Sunday School class, substitute teaching in the public school, and connecting with the teenage staff at the fast-food joint where she claimed a “back booth office” helped inspire her young adult “Choices Matter” fiction series. She's a "cheerleader" for saving sex for marriage and for "renewed waiting" because it's never too late to make wiser choices. Her “Waiting Matters … Because YOU Matter” blog helps people of all ages navigate the choppy waters of saving sex for marriage while her “Slices of Real Life” posts find GOD in the day-to-day moments of real life.

 As a genetic genealogy enthusiast and "search angel," she writes and speaks about her experiences as a "foundling" who located her birth parents. Her journey to find and connect with her biological family is chronicled in the blog series “A Doorstep Baby’s Search for Answers.” She also serves on the executive board of the National Association of Adoptees and Parents. All of her writing endeavors can be found on her website, https://bethsteury.com

2 comments:

  1. What an inspiring post! Thank you! I'm planning to attend ACFW's conference in St. Louis, and I hope, at least one more this year. After reading this, I'm stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing this post really put me in the mood! Let the planning begin!

    ReplyDelete