Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Getting Your Creative House in Order

 

Getting Your Creative House in Order

-Darren Kehrer-

 

This may only be my limitation, but I find that it’s hard to be creative when my actual daily life has “to-do” items populating the virtual list in my mind. That list tends to muddy the waters of my creative wellspring of ideas.

Knowing that limitation, I try to clear the plate of immediate, necessary tasks so that my brain isn’t spinning away on those items and soaking up available creative bandwidth. The way I see it, you only have a few options to offset this logjam to creative productivity:

1.    Get those tasks completed so you have that sense of satisfaction and your non-writing slate is clean.

2.    Get out of the environment that is “homeport” for those tasks. Head to your favorite local coffee shop, tea joint, or cubby in a corner.

3.     Realize your limitation with this obstacle, be honest with yourself, and then structure your creative writing time around it to form a better navigation strategy.

Maybe for you it’s the laundry, fixing dinner for the family, getting the kids homework completed, getting the lawn taken care of, balancing your checkbook, or just other tasks from your “day” job (if that applies to you).  

There are SO many things that can clog up the creative pipelines. Identify yours and put a plan into place to clear those out before your creative writing time begins. The persons that will benefit most from this are your future readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment