Friday, October 26, 2018

Seasons, Settings, and Story Selections


Some people read a favorite book every year. I don’t have such a tradition, but what I read and when is conditional.

I often gravitate towards a book set within geographical parameters, and prefer a particular genre in a specific time of year. Perhaps it’s odd to say so, but I’ve come to realize seasons and settings tend to influence my reading selections—my mood, apparently tied to my surroundings, and or the weather, driving what reading material sparks my interest.

I don’t think I’m alone either.

Various authors have declared a book they wrote was based on place they visited. I get that. I love to travel, and discovering new places usually inspires me as a writer. As a reader, that’s true as well.

For example, when I went to New Orleans for a visit, I picked up books with a little Creole and Cajun influence. I’ve downloaded books with a beach setting when I knew I was headed for warm weather, blue skies, and the hypnotic pulse of ocean waves. 

Just as a particular setting will direct my reading interests, seasons slant me toward specific genres.
Fall weather makes me think of soup, crackers, woolen socks, and a good mystery…preferably by a good fire. It’s the cool weather I think. 

And color coated trees with brisk winds that make me want to stay home—dive into something that will challenge my intellect, as I race through pages looking for clues and identifying red herrings that might otherwise throw me off the trail for solving the mystery.

Winter, however, brings out my nostalgic side. Holidays and family traditions make reading inspirational true stories, dramas, and historical fiction come to life. I want to hunker down, keep the cold weather out and read as many as humanly possible.

Then spring rolls around, and I’m filled with restlessness. Eager to step outside, I explore, for real and vicariously—tucking fictional adventures into my bag, I look for places to visit, or outdoor spots where I can sit and read.

Last, but certainly not least, when days finally heat up from summer, I enjoy flavorful fruits, weekend getaways with my hubby, and a good romance between Hallmark worthy characters. 

What about you? What influences what you read?


Penelope grew up in Tennessee, but has lived in various states and a few countries outside the United States. She holds a BS in Business/Political Science and a MS in Multinational Commerce from Boston University. 

After working in the field of banking and finance, she left to invest her time with her children at home, and occasionally worked as a substitute teacher. Today, she resides in Indiana with her family where she serves in her church, and occasionally teaches a Bible study or Precepts.

An avid reader of fiction and perpetual student of Biblical truth, she is pursing the life of a writer. She believes her roots, faith, and her experience with other places and cultures, all meld into the voice that splashes onto the pages of her novels.

A Powerful Voice and A Furrow So Deep are Christian Romances published through Anaiah Press, LLC. And her Christmas novella, My Christmas Hope, will be released November 16, 2018.

To follow Penelope on social media:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PenelopePowellAuthor/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/@penpowell89
 

2 comments:

  1. My reading choices seem to depend on my mood. Sometimes I want to sit by the fire with a cozy mystery or a sweet romance, sometimes I want a challenge and search for complex story lines, anything from historical sagas to thrillers.

    ReplyDelete